Stock clearance. Last one at this price.
- Hardcover: 320 pages
- Publisher: Collins; Second edition edition (7 Jun. 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0007189915
- ISBN-13: 978-0007189915
- Product Dimensions: 19.4 x 13.4 x 3.4 cm
A comprehensive field guide to all the butterfly species of Britain and Europe, illustrated with over 2,000 paintings by the leading artist in the field, Richard Lewington.
This comprehensive guide to the butterflies of the whole of Europe and North Africa describes and illustrates all 440 species. There are paintings of the male, female, and, where appropriate, all major forms.
Distribution maps accompany every widespread species and all the information for the book has been researched from original sources. The text covers all taxonomic nomenclature, distribution, flight period, variation, habitat, behaviour, life cycle, food plants and conservation. An ideal field guide for travelling naturalists and the perfect reference for those wanting to discover more about butterflies themselves.
‘Richard Lewington’s illustrations are magnificent…Tom Tolman’s text is excellent too’ New Scientist
‘the identification plates are without equal in any modern field guide to butterflies’ P. J. de Vries, Centre for Biodiversity Studies, Milwaukee Public Museum
From the Back Cover
EASY TO USE
• The ONLY portable illustrated guide to the butterflies of Britain & Europe.
• Covers 444 species, with each species fully illustrated with paintings of the male, female and all major forms, varieties and sub-species.
• Over 2,000 colour illustrations and 444 distribution maps – one for every species.
• Text covers all taxonomic nomenclature, distribution, flight period and variation and, uniquely, habitat and behaviour.
• written by one of Europe’s leading butterfly experts, all the information has been researched for the book from original sources, and covers the whole of Europe and North Africa – ideal for the travelling naturalist.