A Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America (2nd Edition)
by Jeffrey Glassberg
A thoroughly revised edition of the most comprehensive and authoritative photographic field guide to North American butterflies.
This is a revised second edition of the most detailed, comprehensive, and user-friendly photographic field guide to the butterflies of North America. Written by Jeffrey Glassberg, the pioneering authority on the field identification of butterflies, the guide covers all known species, beautifully illustrating them with 3,500 large, gorgeous colour photographs—the very best images available. This second edition includes more than 500 new photos and updated text, maps, and species names. For most species, there are photographs of topsides and undersides, males and females, and variants. All text is embedded in the photographs, allowing swift access in the field, and arrows point to field marks, showing you exactly what to look for. Detailed, same-page range maps include information about the number of broods in each area and where strays have been recorded. Colour text boxes highlight information about habitat, caterpillar food plants, abundance and flight period, and other interesting facts. Also included are a quick visual index and a caterpillar food plant index. The result is an ideal field guide that will enable you to identify almost every butterfly you see.
- A revised second edition of the most comprehensive photographic field guide to North American butterflies, featuring more than 500 new photos and updated text, maps, and species names
- Written by the pioneering authority on the field identification of butterflies
- Beautifully illustrated with 3,500 colour photographs that show all known species, including views of topsides and undersides, males and females, and variants for most species
- Authoritative text embedded in the photographs for swift access
- Detailed range maps
- Colour text boxes that highlight information about habitat, food plants, abundance and flight period, and other interesting facts
- An invaluable tool for field identification
Jeffrey Glassberg is a leading butterfly authority and author. He is president of the North American Butterfly Association, editor of American Butterflies magazine, and the author of many books, including the Butterflies through Binoculars series. He is adjunct professor of evolutionary biology at Rice University and lives in Morristown, New Jersey.
“[A Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America] is a comprehensive and authoritative field guide illustrated with 3,500 photographs.” London Free Press